Monday 14 May 2012

Perry Como - Don't Let The Stars Get In Your Eyes

After the lust, adultery and gross licentiousness featured in the last post thank God that Perry Como has come to the rescue of our morality. Unlike Eddie Fisher, Perry Como only ever had one wife - his teenage sweetheart. A devoted Catholic, Como even received an informal seal of Papal approval. On their Silver wedding anniversary Mr&Mrs Como attended an audience with Pope Pius XII in Rome. Perry Como was a fiercely private man and therefore very annoyed that photos of the event entered the press, but it turned out it was the Vatican that had released them, presumably as proof of the everlasting hipness of the Catholic Church. He also had a hit with recording of Ave Maria/The Lord's Prayer in '49, which he recorded in a church. Jeez, Perry Como ought to be beatified. I wonder if my dodgy knee will improve if I hold vigil at his grave. Despite all this talk, please don't go thinking that Perry Como was dull. He produced many fantastic songs that have nothing to do with Jesus. When Como next comes up I'll introduce you to some of his less ecclesiastical characteristics. 



This song was at number one for five weeks, from which I can only surmise that people back in the 50s had high boredom thresholds. 'Don't Let The Stars Get In Your Eyes' is a jaunty, upbeat, and pretty annoying song that I can only take for a couple of plays before it turns me mad and bored stiff in equal measure. When I first listened to it I was fine, but after a while the incessant brass stabs felt like they were jabbing right into my nervous system, goaded on by the eternal oom-pah of the rhythm section. I'm sad about this because it's not a bad song and I do want to like it because I think Perry Como's ace. He is to be applauded for being the least annoying thing about the song. Ultimately though, I think it would be a good addition to the US military's playlist, especially if they're ever going to interrogate me.


When: 6th February 1953
How long: 5 weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment