Thursday 10 May 2012

Kay Starr - Comes A-Long A-Love

Hark! The tempo rises! This one definitely isn't for slow dancing. If I was the producer of an uninspiring rom-com film I would use this as the soundtrack for the 'silly' montage, y'know the sort of thing where the protagonists are decorating their bedroom but in the throws of unbridled love decide to paint each others' faces instead. Anyway, enough of my cinematic ambitions.


Billie Holiday said of Kay Starr that she was "the only white woman who could sing the blues". I'm not qualified to pass judgement on this assessment but I have concluded that Starr had an absolute beast of a voice. If you want to fancy listening to some fantastic jazz songs I recommend her album 'I Cry By Night', available on Spotify. Apparently she is the only 'full-blooded' Native American to have achieved a UK number one (and not just one, we'll be seeing her again in the future).

'Comes A-long A-Love' is a really ace toe-tapping tune which certainly makes me feel a bit livelier at my desk. A love song that is energetic makes a nice change from the last two, which seemed to suggest that one's heart rate must remain at resting when thinking of that special someone; hell, it's even alright if your palpitations resemble "highland flinging". At 2.26 the song doesn't drag on and over-egg the pudding, and it packs an unrelenting rhythmic punch. All in all: a fantastic little song that gets you dancing on the inside.

When: 23rd January 1953
How long: 1 week

No comments:

Post a Comment